This is for a virgin system without python etc installed. Skip any step not needed. Consider this a placeholder. Eventually this page or something like it will be folded into the Leo docs and this will be irrelevant.
lightly updated April 2013
Install Python 2.x - There are many sources, but from http://www.python.org/download/releases/ is good.
Install PyQt - acquire and run Binary Package from http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/download which matches installed Python version (so for python 2.7 scan for the
Head to http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/ and slap [Download Now]
You can unpack the .zip file anywhere, including Python’s site-packages folder, for example,
[optional] Generate/update a junction link from unpacked leo-4-10-final to …\site-packages\leo:
cd C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages mklink /j leo leo-4-6-2-final
Create windows shortcut with following properties (edit paths as necessary; change leo to leo-4-10-final if you didn't create a junction):
r-click on Desktop > New > Shortcut > Target:
c:\Python27\pythonw.exe> Name: Leo Editor > ok, ok
Select shortcut > Properties:
Target = C:\Python27\pythonw.exe C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\leo\launchLeo.py Start in = "%userprofile%\My Documents"
(change to wherever you like to save your work)
Tell Windows how to handle
ftype LeoFile=C:\Python27\pythonw.exe C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\leo\launchLeo.py "%1" assoc .leo=LeoFile
@start /b "Leo" C:\Python27\python.exe -i C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\leo\launchLeo.py %*
Add to r-click-->new context menu:
Further reading / Sources used:
- Leo filetype association - http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/install.html#how-to-associate-leo-with-leo-files-on-windows
- Leo template file - http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/FAQ.html#tips-and-techniques
- Junction links - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx, http://groups.google.com/group/leo-editor/msg/30116f9193241dc4
- FTYPE - http://ss64.com/nt/ftype.html
- ASSOC - http://ss64.com/nt/assoc.html